Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A New Crafting Adventure

Since discovering my crafty side about 7 years ago, when I picked up my first pair of knitting needles, I've slowly added certain crafts to my repertoire. First I added some simple hand stitching (this mostly being out of necessity as a broke college student), then some crochet, an upgrade to a sewing machine, and now - hand embroidery.

I've been interested in embroidery for as long as I can remember, my grandma has all the little scraps of fabric she gave me covered with the chicken scratch stitches of 8 year old me. Unfortunately, no one in my family does hand embroidery, my grandmother had just let me cut up old clothing and had purchased me embroidery floss and needles to nurture my creativity.

Now I'm back! With the knowledge and faith that I can teach myself, especially if I've successfully taught myself knitting, crochet and sewing.

I've already gone and picked myself up needles, embroidery floss, hoops, and some onesies to learn on (for my niece of course, oh and there's that - my sister is having a girl!).

This is my first finished project:


I freehanded the bird with a template pencil, and went over in running and stem stitch. :) The eye is a French knot, and the beak satin stitch. It was a good learn-to template.

Next:

Embossed tie applique onesie, cupcake toys and rattles, the baby blanket (which is more than half done), and I'm sure an assortment of other projects I'll add to my roster.

Allonsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment